Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Surprise Surprise


Wow. That was the word that I uttered after Jameer Nelson missed an off balance three as time expired in Game Two of the Eastern Conference Finals. Wow. The Celtics had just defeated the Magic 95-92, to take a 2-0 lead in the series nobody thought they would win. Wow. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. For the first time in Celtics history (and trust me, that's a lot of history) Boston had won the first two games of a series on the road. Just a month ago we were saying how the Celtics looked old, washed up. A week and a half ago they were about to go up against the best team in the NBA during the regular season, and didn't have a chance. Now? Now the C's are only two wins away from the NBA Finals, and have 3 home games to do it. I was speechless. How did this happen? Am I dreaming? No, this isn't a dream, it's reality, and a very good reality at that.

Going into the postseason, I had grown to hate the 2010 Celtics. They didn't hustle. They were lazy. They lacked the heart of a champion. The Celtics finished 27-27 after a 23-5 start. They had lost a league worst 14 games that they had lead in by at least 10 points at some point. I hated Sheed. I hated the energy. Most of all, I hated how they didn't care. I hated everything about them, and I was looking forward to watching them be upset by Miami in the first round or get blown away by the LeBrons in round two. I thought they had no chance at the title. Boy, was I wrong.

Against Miami, it was evident that this wasn't the same Celtics team from the regular season. They hustled. They played great defense. They looked like they cared. When Quentin Richardson pushed Paul Pierce out of bounds and indirectly (or directly) got KG suspended, The Celtics turned it up a notch. If it wasn't for a Dwayne Wade explosion in Game 4 of that series, the Celtics would have swept Miami no problem. But I still wasn't so sure that the Celtics new found defensive intensity that was reminiscent of the 2008 championship team was for real. I mean, come on, its Miami. Their backup plan after Dwayne Wade is Jermaine O'Neal's corpse/the artist formerly known as Michael Beasley/Mario Chalmers. Not exactly a killer supporting cast. Anyways going up against mighty Cleveland and LeBron James, I was curious to see if this new Celtics team was the real deal or if they would be wiped aside.

That's when the Celtics came out and dominated the Cavaliers in one of the most one-sided six game series ever. With the exception of a late game collapse in Game One, and a no show in Game Three, Boston was in control of the series throughout. Garnett made me look like a fool for picking Jamison over him in my series preview by abusing him throughout (seriously, what was I thinking? Jamison could have charged KG of rape for what he did to him...oh wait I forgot that was Kobe's thing). Rondo was absolutely sensational, darting and weaving in and out of Cleveland's defense. The Celtics put the clamps on Lebron, and I'm convinced the Cavs' supporting cast went into a coma. Then, in Game Six, which was the best Celtics game I've ever been to (New York Knicks! New York Knicks!), Boston pulled off the upset that nobody saw coming.

That brings us to the Eastern Conference Finals against Dwight Howard (my second favorite non-Celtic) and the Orlando Magic. Once again, despite their previous successes, the Celtics were counted out against a Magic team that went 8-0 in the first two rounds. But the Celtics are locked in right now. There's no other way to put it. They beat the Magic in the first game by a game that wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Then, in Game Two, Orlando choked down the stretch (with Vince Carter pulling his patented big game choke by missing two crucial free throws in the final minute. I think we should start calling him The Mailman for the way he mails games in). And now, the Celts are taking home a 2 games to none lead and are in full control of the series.

Does this mean the Celtics have won the series? Not a chance. But with every series, every game, every quarter, I'm feeling more and more like this is a team of destiny. With the defense they are playing, they can beat anyone. Including the Lakers. It's only a matter of time. Go Celtics.
_________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment